One of the most important tools of a Chef’s trade are his set of knives. The knife set equips him to cut and slice the ingredients for his dish to perfection. For a Chef, a dish is not only a matter of taste, but presentation too plays a crucial and important aspect of good cooking. To cut to perfection, the Chef’s set of knives have to be well maintained, so that their cutting edge has a high degree of sharpness.
To achieve this, the most popular tool is the Chef s Choice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener. In the industry, this sharpener stands out for its user friendly features as well as sharpening performance. Fortunately, this extremely efficient and useful sharpener is available at Amazon.com. This means that you too can get your knives sharpened to perfection, in the comfort of your home.
Features of Chef’s Choice 120 Knife Sharpener:
The Chefs Choice 120 Professional knife Sharpener includes the following features:
- It uses a three stage process for getting maximum sharpness of the edge.
- Works for all ranges of knives from Gourmet Chef’s knife to serrated knives etc.
- The 100 percent diamond abrasive coating ensures that it will last for the full service life of the sharpener.
Additional Features Of the Chef s Choice 120 Sharpener:
- It has dimensions of 6.3 x 10.4 x 6.3 inches. This makes it compact and it fits anywhere in the kitchen.
- It weighs 5 pounds. It is lightweight and easy to shift.
- The weight when shipped is 5 pounds.
- It comes with a three year household warranty.
- It can be shipped to all parts of the US and to some other countries too. Please inquire when placing the order.
- The sharpener has precision angle guides for skill free operation. All you have to do is to place the knife in the guide and move it along and the sharpener will sharpen the knives from its tip till its bolster.
- It has a 110 Volt On-off switch and comes in a pleasing white exterior. It has been UL/ETL certified and is also listed in Canada.
- Its Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) is B00004S1B8.
- It features at No. 4435 in the Amazon Best Seller Rank. It comes in at No.35 among Kitchen Knives and Cutlery > Knife Sharpeners.
To read more features about the Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener Click here.
Description of This Chefs Choice 120 Knife Sharpener:
Though it may sound like a contradiction,but when the knife is sharper, it is safer. A sharp edged knife cuts to perfection and it will travel in the direction of the force applied on the handle. Excessive force too need not be applied. Therefore you can control its movement precisely, thus making it safe to use. A knife edge, over time, will lose its sharpness and it has to be maintained properly to get maximum usage.
By using the Chefs Choice 120 knife sharpener, you can ensure that all your knife blades are sharpened to perfection and will pass the ‘eagle eye’ of any Chef. This is a professional quality knife sharpener and can sharpen any type of knife such as Chef’s Gourmet knives, hunting knives, sports knives etc. It can also sharpen knives with serrated edges.
The sharpener’s secret lies in its precision rotating, 100% diamond abrasive coated, conical hones. Sharpening/Honing are the first two stages and the third is the polishing stage. The third stage is a stropping/polishing disk, which hones the knife edge to such a degree, its sharpness is unmatched. There is a left and right guide so that the edge comes out with greater sharpness and durability. This makes it a professional knife sharpener. Exercise extreme caution when checking the sharpness, as you can easily injure yourself with a careless move. After sharpening, the knife edge is as good as new.
The Three Stages of the Chef s Choice 120 Professional Knife Sharpener:
- Stage 1 – This is used can be used where the knife edge is very dull or has a damaged surface for maximum edge ‘bite’. The Diamond abrasive coating creates the first facet by smoothening out the edges.
- Stage 2 – This is used for routine sharpening. The second bevel is created by using finer grit diamond abrasives.
- Stage 3 – The patented material creates the final super sharp edge. This stage is the only one you will need to use for serrated knife edges.
The best way to test the effectiveness of the Chef s Choice diamond hone sharpener is to test it under real life conditions. We tried it out on different knives. Some of the knives were relatively new and a few had seen much better days. We also tried two knives with serrated edges.
We started with the sharpest knife and placed it in the appropriate stage left slot and pulled it towards the body smoothly. The built in springs held the knife securely against the guide. We repeated the process with the right slot. In less than ten seconds it was super sharp. We then went to the other extreme and tried a blunt, rusty knife. That too sprang to life in short order. The serrated edges too were sharpened to perfection. When you pull the knife through the slot, you can feel the machine grinding away to sharpen the edge. We could see some metal filings falling out of the slot. For maximum safety, it is advisable to use protective safety glasses.
Most customers have given positive reviews on Amazon.com. The sharpener has received 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Listen to what some of the customers had to say.
- D. Hannan “David” (New York) said “Best I’ve owned. Does exactly what it says it does. Sharpens even the dullest blade to a brand new finish. The 3rd. wheel, the stropper, is a perfect finish. Very happy with purchase.”
- Brent A. Braunberger (Crete, NE, US) said “Awesome Knife Sharpener. I used to sharpen all my knives with a stone, but this has saved me a lot of time. For my hunting knives, I used the first and third stage as they recommended and after gutting and skinning two deer my knife was still sharp. Highly recommend this sharpener.”
This user friendly sharpener has been well received by customers. It sharpens the blade to a high degree of precision. The current price of $149.95 at Amazon.com is value for money. It is a recommended buy.